Visa and Relocation Services

Spanish Visas, Citizenship, Residency & Healthcare

Relocation Services

Sun Lawyers can help with your legal documentation if you are relocating to Spain

Arranging your legal documentation is one of the most important steps you should take into consideration before moving to Spain. Knowing the type of documents you will need depending on whether you’re from an EU or non-EU country is very important.

If you are thinking about relocating to Spain, it’s important to seek independent legal advice in order to help you understand how you can apply for residency or citizenship and what will be expected of you when you become a resident.

Your Legal documentation is key to  living in Spain:

  • Buying or selling property
  • Buying or selling a car
  • Paying Taxes
  • Becoming a resident
  • Gaining employment
  • Health and Social Security



From Monday 16 November 2023 all Spain Visa applications will be submitted at BLS International Visa Centre Offices. 20 St Andrew Street, London EC4A 3AG


From Monday 16 October 2023 all visa applications will be submitted at BLS International Visa Offices. Unit 1, 205 Chapel Street, Salford, M3 5PF.


From 17th May 2023 all visa applications will be submitted at BLS International Visa Centre Offices. 6 Dock Place, Leith, Edinburgh EH6 6LU.

Golden Visa
Digital Nomad Visa
Non-lucrative visa

Spanish Documents

Below are the main legal documents that are applicable to relocations services. The types of documents and the processes are slightly different depending upon whether you are a EU or Non-EU citizen.

EU Citizens

The following are the main legal documents that are applicable to EU citizens within our relocation services:

NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero) – A certificate which acts as your fiscal number in Spain. You’ll need this certificate to buy and sell property or a car in Spain, access the health services, pay tax or to secure employment.

Residency Card (Tarjeta de residencia) – This is a card incorporating your NIE and your personal details. It is necessary for transactions where someone wants to see proof of your current physical address in Spain (e.g. banks, phone companies, etc). It’s a credit card sized green card (with no photo). The law says you must apply for if you’re living in Spain for more than 90 days.

Health Card (SIP Card) – The Spanish health card for non-EU citizens is accessible under certain scenarios. We will let you if you’re eligible for it.

Non-EU Citizens

The following are the main legal documents that are applicable to non-EU citizens within our relocation services:

NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero) – Similarly to EU citizens this certificate acts as a fiscal number in Spain. This certificate is needed to buy and sell property or a car in Spain, obtain a health card, pay tax or to secure employment.

Visas – At Sun Lawyers, we are specialists in these four categories of Spanish visa:


   Non-lucrative Visa


   Working Visa


   Student Visa


   Business / Investment Visa*

* including GOLDEN VISA for homeowners whose property is over €500,000

Residency Card (Tarjeta de residencia) – As with EU Citizens, a residency card is necessary for transactions where someone wants to see proof of your current address in Spain (e.g. banks, phone companies, etc). We will obtain your Spanish residency card (credit card size with photo) after we go through the visa process.

Spanish Citizenship – Once you’ve been living in Spain for the required amount of time we will help you to apply for and obtain your Spanish citizenship.

Health Card (SIP Card) – The Spanish health card for non-EU citizens is accessible under certain scenarios. We will let you if you’re eligible for it.

Spanish Visas

We specialise in Spanish visas as well as legal documentation for non-EU citizens.

At Sun Lawyers, we are experts in helping our EU clients obtain Spanish visas. We also specialise in obtaining Spanish visas and legal documentation for non-EU citizens, allowing them to live and work legally in Spain.

What is a Visa?

In simple terms, a visa is an official one-page sticker placed within your passport which allows you to legally enter and leave Spain, at your own free will. The Spanish visa includes a photo of you, as well as other basic personal details. EU citizens do not need visas to enter or live in Spain. A Spanish visa is only for citizens of non-EU countries.

Types of Visa

There are many kinds of visas, but we are specialists on the following categories:

  • Non-lucrative visa – This type of visa does not allow you to work or do business in Spain. It  only permits you to legally stay in the country.
  • Working visa – As the name implies, this visa allows you to gain legal employment in Spain.
  • Student visa – If you are studying in Spain,  you must obtain for a student visa.
  • Business / Investment visa – for investors, business, and private users who buy property of a value over €500,000. Also known as a ‘Golden Visa’.
  • Digital Nomad Visa – for remote workers and their farmilies.
How can we help you?

No matter which visa you are applying for, each requires a significant amount of preparation, in terms of requirements. We can assist you with the following:

  • Visa application: Our mission here is to make sure you will deliver all the requirements to perfection at your corresponding consulate/embassy. We will be in touch with the Spanish consulate/embassy and will help you processing all the necessary requirements.
  • Spanish residency: It’s the second and final step. You will have 30 days from date of entry to Spain to apply for your Spanish residency card. This is a critical point where some people lose their visas and have to start all over again.


Ready to move to Spain? Fill out our contact form and we’ll get back to you shortly to do a preliminary study at no cost!

Digital Nomad Visa

A common question we are asked when we attend shows in the UK like A Place in the Sun Live is: How can I, a British citizen, spend more than 90 days at a time in Spain if I am not yet retired? The short answer, before 23 December 2022 was that you couldn’t. Unless you happen to be married to an EU citizen, go into early-retirement or can find some Irish ancestry!

Spain’s Digital Nomad Visa and Permit were launched in December 2022, providing the opportunity for digital nomads to work in Spain for companies located abroad (and their family members access to the Spanish property market). Since then we know far more about the practicalities of the application process and what the authorities will accept as a legitimate application. Learn more

Golden Visa – Spain

Everything You Need to Know About Getting a Golden Visa in Spain
What is a Golden Visa?

In 2013, Spain introduced a new type of visa and residence permit for investors known as the Golden Visa. The main purpose of this was to encourage foreign investments in Spain by foreigners who are not citizens of the European Union.

Benefits of a Golden Visa:

A new type of visa which allows you to enter and stay in Spain for a period of 1 year, increasing the usual period of 90 days for non-resident.

– Allows to circulate freely and without restrictions along the “Schengen” area (Spain, France, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Sweden and Switzerland).

– A new type of residence permit, which can be requested at the end of the visa, and which is valid for two years’ renewable for a period of two years more.

– Does not entail a minimum period of residence in Spain of 183 days for its renovation (the beneficiary can keep his tax address out of Spain).

– Together with the investor, his spouse, children under 18 years or dependent adults due to health reasons can request the visa.

Types of Golden Visa:

The most common way of obtaining a Golden Visa is by acquiring a real estate asset valued at €500,000 or higher. Other ways include:

– An investment equal or higher than 2 million euros in Spanish public debt titles.

– With aim of shares acquisition of Spanish companies, or bank deposits in Spanish financial entities, for an amount equal or higher than one million Euros.

– With purpose of developing a business project in Spain considered and confirmed being of general interest due it to fulfilling certain requirements, e.g. creation of work or relevant contribution to the scientific and/or technological innovation.

General requirements:
  • Not having entered or stayed illegally in Spanish territory.
  • Being of legal age (18 years old).
  • Not having criminal records in Spain and in the countries where the petitioner has lived during the last 5 years.
  • Not appear as refused in any country which has a valid agreement with Spain in this sense.
  • Have sufficient economic resources for the person and for the members of his family during his residence period in Spain.

*These are only the general requirements, contact us for a full detailed list of requirements.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I keep my tax residence outside Spain?

Yes. The holder of the permit can keep his tax residence outside Spain, as long as he stays in our country for a period less than 183 days per year. Also, the residence permit can be renewed even with absences longer than six months per year.

Does the Golden Visa authorise me to work?

Yes. The Golden Visa authorises to live and work in Spain. This results from the Fourth Additional Provision of the Law, which states a single proceeding to request a permit authorising to live and work.

Is the €500.000 euros per petitioner or per application?

Per petitioner, but he can also include his companion relatives, who can jointly and simultaneously or successively request the authorisation and, in case, the visa. Nevertheless, they have to fulfil the general requirements and prove the relationship bond through their corresponding certificates.

Who have the consideration of companion relatives in order to request the investor visa?

The position as relatives will be considered for the spouse and the children less than 18 years or of legal age that are not objectively able to provide their own necessities due to their health condition.

Contact Us

Contact us now to arrange a FREE consultation.

Our legal team will answer all the questions you may have about applying for a Golden Visa.

Spanish Citizenship

We are experts in gaining Spanish citizenship for eligible applicants

Being a citizen is defined as the ‘state of being a member of a particular country and having certain rights because of this membership’. As a Spanish citizen, you will be entitled to a number of rights, such as holding a Spanish passport and  the right to vote in local and general elections.

What does Spanish Citizenship grant you?

Freedom of movement within the EU – being a Spanish citizen allows you to travel freely within the EU. This means that, unlike most non-EU citizens, you won’t need any visas to travel to and from other EU countries.

Spanish National ID Card – This is an identification card that you will use in Spain to identify yourself for any legal and fiscal matters.

Spanish Passport – As a Spanish citizen you will be granted a full Spanish passport. This allows you to freely and legally travel to and from countries outside of the EU.

Who can apply for Spanish Citizenship?

Here of some of the main cases and scenarios where you will be eligible to apply for Spanish citizenship:

Being a Spanish resident for ten years – To become a citizen under this scenario you will need to have held a valid Spanish residency card for at least ten consecutive years.

Married to a Spanish citizen – In this case, you will may apply for your Spanish citizenship a year after you have applied for your Spanish residency card.

Citizens of Iberian American countries, Andorra, the Philippines, Ecuadorian Guinea and Portugal – Under this category you will only need to have held a valid Spanish residency card two years.

Those whose parents or grandparents have Spanish citizenship – If your parents or grandparents are legal Spanish citizens then you may apply for citizenship after one year of holding a valid Spanish residency card.

There are other possibilities through which you could become a Spanish citizen. To find out more and to see how we can assist you, contact us today.

Spanish Residency

At Sun Lawyers we can assist EU nationals applying for a Spanish residency card.

Would you like to apply for your Spanish residency card? Are you from an EU country? Are you planning on staying in Spain more than 90 days? Let us explain how we can assist you.

What is a Spanish Residency Card?

The Spanish residency card is basically a permit that, as an EU national, you’ll need to apply for if you are planning on legally staying for more than 90 consecutive days in Spain. Non-EU citizens have a different type of card that includes a photo. The Spanish residency card for EU citizens looks like this:

What is the purpose of a Spanish Residency Card?

There are many scenarios in which you will be able to use your Spanish residency. Here are some of the common ones:

  • Buying or selling a property
  • Paying taxes
  • Gaining employment
  • Registering a business
  • Buying or selling a car
  • Obtaining a healthcare card
  • Drafting a Spanish Will

The Spanish residency card also includes your NIE number (fiscal number), printed on the front, which is needed to legally buy or sell anything in Spain.

Where do you apply for a Spanish Residency Card?

Applications are mainly made in Spanish National Police stations or facilities designated for this purpose, that have a foreign affairs division.

Unlike the NIE number, which can be obtained through power of attorney or at your country of origin’s Spanish embassy or consulate, you will need to be physically present at the time of application for Spanish residency.

How can Sun Lawyers assist you?

As with all of our services, our Spanish residency card service is comprehensive and is designed to relieve the stress of you going through the tedious bureaucracy of the process. We can help you with the following steps:

  • Preparation – this is key, as well as 95% of the success. We’ll study your personal situation to guarantee you’ll obtain your Spanish residency in one go.
  • Application form – No worries, we speak Spanish, so we’ll fill out the application form for you.
  • Government fee – There is a small fee that must be paid at the bank prior the application day. We’ll do this for you as part of the service.
  • Translation – You won’t be alone on the day of the application. There could be some unexpected questions or requirements. We’ll be there to help and be ready to solve anything as we go.

If you have any questions regarding the  Spanish residency process, contact us today. We’ll be happy to hear from you!

Spanish Healthcare

At Sun Lawyers we can help you through the process of obtaining access to the Spanish healthcare system

Having a Spanish health card is like having good insurance: you never think you’ll need it until you need it. Luckily, obtaining a Spanish healthcare card is a simple enough process.


What does the Healthcare card cover?

In Spain, you are covered in cases of emergency – unexpected events that in general require fast reaction. However, in cases where ongoing treatments are needed because of serious illness or non-life threatening episodes, for example, you are not automatically covered. In such scenarios you would need a Spanish permanent healthcare card.


What do you need to apply for a Healthcare Card?

Regardless of the Spanish region you are in, to obtain a permanent full coverage Spanish healthcare card you must go through the process:

  1. Obtain a Padron – proof of address from the local town hall.
  2. Be a registered Spanish resident.
  3. Register for Social Security.
  4. Apply for your healthcare card.
How can we help you?

With our Relocation Package we will successfully help you with all matters related to obtaining your Spanish healthcare card. We are specialists in helping people getting settled in Spain in the most efficient way nobody else can do.

Our relocation team has been helping our international clients relocate to Spain since 1985. Over the years we have assisted thousands of satisfied clients in a smooth and worry-free process. Don’t worry about the details, just contact us and we will coordinate everything with you to make your life easier in Spain.

Ready to move to Spain? Fill out the form and begin the process of getting your Spanish healthcare card.

Whether you are looking to move to Spain or are already here and need some help with legal documentation, contact us now.

Call us on (+34) 965 321 193 or fill in the contact form provided.

Privacy Preferences
When you visit our website, it may store information through your browser from specific services, usually in form of cookies. Here you can change your privacy preferences. Please note that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience on our website and the services we offer.